Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A Very Surreal Day

This past Friday night I was kind of bored so I decided to edit my previous CL ad. I just had to see if I could get rid of the responses from men who are closer to my dad in age. Well, I think I may have done something right this time because I received a number of decent responses. (Yes, they were cute, Gloria. They also sounded sane.)

One guy stood out in the group. He had a nice picture and he sounded like a nice person. We spent the weekend emailing each other. Finally on Sunday he sent an email describing where in the area he lived. I promptly wrote back that I knew where the city is because I grew up in the area. His response? He wanted to know what high school I went to. Then he told me where I went to high school. Yes, that's right. We went to the same high school. I promptly pulled out my yearbook. All I had was the photo he had sent me, his first name, and his age. I located him in the yearbook within 2 minutes. That's when I realized that I had kind of known him in high school. We knew a lot of the same people. I promptly wrote to my high school best friend and found out that the guy in question had been her older brother's best friend in high school. This is why I've always been reluctant to post an ad. I knew that one day I was bound to run into someone I already knew.

Bottom line? We're going out to dinner later this week. I'll keep you posted.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gloria said...

I'm actually sort of scared (perhaps scared is not the right word, but words currently fail me, being in this non-academic slump that will surely be revitalised when classes start THIS AFTERNOON) that someone I know will respond to my post (or, vice versa). But asofar as I can tell, people I know don't believe in internet dating which suits me just fine.

01 February, 2005 12:07  
Blogger Gloria said...

White lies, I can pass off the majority of the time. But there is this peculiar problem I have that when pressed, I give my phone number. Just like that. I'm not quick enough to come up with a fake phone number. I always give my real one. It has gotten me into mild trouble a number of times.

I am also not really good at hiding my true feelings. You'll know when I don't like something.

Where was the connection there? Oh right. Honesty. I am, often to a fault.

01 February, 2005 23:57  
Blogger Dagny said...

Great idea, Cryptic. Years ago I memorized the phone number for my best friend's house in high school. Her family no longer has that phone number. I know it's a real one so I can give that out. However, when I used to go out to bars frequently, I just told guys that it was my personal policy to not give out my number but I would happily take theirs.

02 February, 2005 01:32  
Blogger Gloria said...

Not Quick Enough to do that. Especially when drunk.
Another friend suggested that I use my Boston area code with my home phone number, because I have it all memorised but it'd obviously be an invalid number. I can never remember that trick either.

02 February, 2005 07:39  
Blogger Gloria said...

That's right, you've nailed it on the head. I like the sleazy ones, it's a subconscious thing.

02 February, 2005 11:56  
Blogger Dagny said...

I used to date the sleazy guys. Now I've been giving the nice guys a try. Maybe that's my problem. I just need to go back to the sleazy ones.

04 February, 2005 22:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home