Monday, January 31, 2005

Shaken, not stirred - How lame can one get?

Apparently, pretty damn lame.

Here is a reply:
I'm 5'10", brown hair and blue eyes that can see into you. I'm clean cut and professional, my job demands it. I can cook, clean, and can do well with a hammer or screwdriver in my hand. You never know, you could have already seen me walking around. Was I be the guy in the jeans and t-shirt coming out of the coffee shop, or the guy just finished up that all important executive meeting wearing the best money can buy. Or was I someone else you didn't notice. This is not bull. And I am not bull.
Okay, that was a whole bunch of baloney, but the last line killed me. I couldn't help responding, "But are you bear?" Get it? Do you really? Bull and bear, stock market terms? I thought I was pretty damn clever. I still think I am, what a great pun that was, and I'm bad at such witty remarks. I must have said some other stuff, because his next response was:
I am an amalgam of them all. I can stand out, or disappear when I need to. That's why I said you could walk by me and not know it. I guess it is the cloak and dagger side of me? Am I a bear though? Actually yes I am. I am part Russian :) Sorry had to do it.
My first thoughts: Ewww. Hairy Russian. Ewwww. EWWWWW. YUCK.

I don't know why, but I wrote back to him. Oh yeah, I told him to tell me more about himself. And this is what I got:
I'm 24, 5'10", brown hair and blue eyes that can see into you. I am the guy that does not exist anymore. I have manners, I hold open doors, I say thank you, a guy who is willing to go the extra mile, the type of guy that only exists in the black and white movies. I can hold my own in a conversation and even start one that is not based on booze or sports (although I do like both topics). You can walk by me in the street and not even know it. I could be the guy in the jeans and t-shirt coming out of the coffee shop, or the guy just finished up that all important executive meeting wearing the best money can buy, whatever is called for at that time, I can do. I don't need to go out 7 nights a week, I'm happy curling up on the couch watching a movie, the Sox or whatever is on that sounds good. I can take a joke, be the butt of a joke, or dish it out when the time is right. No matter what, I will make you feel comfortable. I'm clean cut and professional, my job demands it. I can cook, clean, and can do well with a hammer or screwdriver in my hands.
I'm sorry, is he some sort of automated response system where he spews out the same baloney every time? This is not enigmatic or mysterious or whatever he's trying to be (and failing at), this is just plain ol' pathetic. He ceased to be amusing, so I stopped writing.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I am a major Craigslist aficionado myself, and it's frightening how many guys sound like that (i.e., mentally and socially retarded.) Now sometimes when I'm sitting on the subway or walking down the street or whatever, I start wondering if the people I'm looking at write similar stuff. Really can change your perspective on the world...

31 January, 2005 23:18  
Blogger Gloria said...

Heh. Yes, I do look around now and wonder if the seemingly boring people walking by are capable of such utter bullshit. Apparently they are.

Thinking he's Jason Bourne is a good description of this fool. I suppose he also thinks that girls like blue eyes. So I'm guilty of such a penchant, but not when it's freakishly described like that.

01 February, 2005 12:12  
Blogger Gloria said...

6'3, clean, *and blue eyes. Do you cook and sing? Because if you do...

Yes, why are there so many weirdass people in the world? It's perplexing. And if the majority is weird, then they're not weird, they're normal. But if that's normal, it's a normal I don't want to be.

Okay. Enough of that. I need to stop.

02 February, 2005 00:00  
Blogger Gloria said...

Wait, really, you cook and clean and sing? Ah, but the heart flutters..

I agree with the statement that there is no normal. People like to think they're normal because it makes them feel better. It's always more fun to be a little (or a lot) quirky).

02 February, 2005 12:01  
Blogger Gloria said...

Sniffle. Massages. Why can't I find one of you in Boston? I mean, I hardly think I'm a bad catch myself, except for perhaps the excessive shopping and need for constant adoration. Because I deserve to be adored, dammit, I'm that wonderful. Ah well. Such is life.

02 February, 2005 23:32  
Blogger Gloria said...

Wow, I am so not even going to get into the dating scene here. Just let it be said that there are perhaps the largest concentrations of colleges and universities in the greater Boston area than anywhere else in the US, and yet, all the guys seem to be carbon copies of each other. It's remarkable.

03 February, 2005 12:13  
Blogger Dagny said...

Gloria, I have a wonderful idea. We should clone Cryptic.

04 February, 2005 01:18  
Blogger Dagny said...

Cryptic, I'm the one who is supposed to be living vicariously. Hmmm ... guess that means I need to stop going on these dates. Oh yeah, now I remember why I started going on the dates. No one was willing to share details. *pout*

04 February, 2005 10:50  
Blogger Dagny said...

Multiple personalities? That must be the problem. I keep letting the wrong one out on dates. Of course that other one only seems to be summoned after a couple of drinks.

And I have a friend who likes to kiss and tell. The problem is she got married. Hearing the same thing for ten years has gotten kind of boring. There's just not enough variety in her stories anymore.

05 February, 2005 11:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home