Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Real-Life Tales of Online Dating Pt. 2

I started writing because I was going to just tell a story about how there are things that one should always list in an ad. That's going to have to be another day, though. Today I must digress.

Thinking over yesterday's post, I suddenly remembered that I had not really started at the beginning of my adventures. Therefore, it is only right that I go back to that point today.

I first started perusing the CL ads for fun and entertainment. I didn't have any intention of answering any. Then there was one that sounded too entertaining to pass up. There was this supposed Brit (I'll get to that later) who was planning to visit the States and was looking for a tour guide. In exchange, said tour guide would receive a trip to the UK. Gloria told me it was too good to pass up so I answered.

As we conversed, I noticed a number of sketchy details. First of all, he claimed that he did not have a photo. Who in this day and age does not have a photo? Then when I happened to mention that the start of his trip happened to coincide with a visit from my mother, he then said that his trip had been postponed. The strange thing is that he supposedly received a call from work telling him this -- 30 minutes after he heard about my conflict -- at 8 PM on a Friday night. (Well, it was 8 PM in London that is.) First thing that made me wonder if he was really in London. I also found it surprising that he claims to have never received the email that I sent asking in what part of London he was. Eventually his trip was back on and he wanted me to meet him at his hotel, if you can call the place that. It was actually more like an EconoLodge kind of place. (I know this because I looked the place up on the internet.) Of course, my mama didn't raise a fool so I told him that I would meet him at a restaurant in the area. The last straw is when I called the motel and asked for his room the day before I was supposed to meet him. What a surprise! There was no one registered under the name he had given me. At that point, I decided that I had received enough of an entertaining story; actually meeting him would not be necessary.

Why did I hang in there so long? Boredom. Besides, like I said, I'm always in search of a good story to share at cocktail parties. I won't even go into my thoughts on the fates that I could have faced if I had actually shown up.

Please keep checking back. I promise I will eventually get to the funniest story of all eventually.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Yikes, I'm glad you didn't go, it could have turned out to be a not very good story at all. Sadly though, most of us are quite vigilent about meeting strangers these days...so many of them turn out to be someone else completely!

19 January, 2005 01:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Enjoyed your blog. I like the design and you have great content. Keep up the good work.

To see reviews of the Online Dating Sites please visit this site.

24 February, 2007 12:50  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey nice blog.

For great articles on dating, relationship and romance tips please visit my site at Online Dating Sites blog

25 February, 2007 13:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home